Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Eve in New England

I travelled to New England for the holidays and arrived on Thursday. My journey was lengthened for I mis-heard the PA system on the train. I heard "Exit at the next station for Durham" and leapt from the train. In hindsight, the message was more likely along the lines of "Exeter: the next station, then Durham". Thankfully forgiven for putting Jenny and her friends out for having to collect me from the wrong town, I was treated to a stroll the next day around (the aptly named) Wagon Hill Park, north-east of Durham, NH.

From Christmas10

I found a little frozen patch to prank around on.

From Christmas10

Park of the park is in contact with the Great Bay, an estuary that feeds into the Piscataqua River.

From Christmas10

Near this peninsula, the surface of the lake has frozen.

From Christmas10

Even in the middle of winter most of the bay will remain navigable. Many of the nearby houses have ramps to access the lakes. In the photo below, and to Jen's right, you can see a large pier that has been established for this purpose.

From Christmas10

Next, I'll put up some photos from our Christmas day!

No comments: