Monday, April 02, 2007
On the workbench
It's not all beer and skittles at the Fox, sometimes we get constructive! Rimsy and I started work on replacing the creaking and sagging front screen door at the Fox the other weekend. The door was a little old-school, so we went ahead and purchased timber, paint and a few bits and pieces with which to construct an "improved" replica of the original.
A couple of digits were juggled between measuring and ordering, as is evident in the photo above. (Very) thankfully, we compared the door with it's home-to-be before gluing it together! The door was two-thirds of a foot too long!
It was back in to the shed for a little adjustment. A couple of coats of paint, some planing and sanding - and we were in business!
With an appropriately sized door in hand, a new screen was stapled in to keep out the bugs and hungry kittens.
Jenny performed well as a vice but excelled in painting the metal screen a glossy black and now our finished door looks better than new!