Monday, April 07, 2008

Camping at Mount Clear

Mount Clear campground is located at the southern end of Namadgi National Park, in a snow hollow. Being in such a cool location, I considered it a useful opportunity to test out my down sleeping bag in concert with my hoochie.


This is a great campground, adjacent to a cool stream - great for chilling a few homebrews down. As well there is a huge supply of cut firewood. Jenny and I set up a fire but still used the ethanol burner to heat our dinner.

Typically, this is a very quiet campground. A little after dark, however, the campground was inundated by the arrival of several vehicles and an entire scout troupe. Thankfully, its a big ground and we "regular people" were given a considerate berth.


It was cool overnight, so cool that I shook ice from my hoochie in the morning, but my accommodation passed its first test. Jen brought along her tent as our insurance policy.


Sunday was beautiful and clear, so Jenny and I hiked up Shanahan's mountain. The view here is facing to the east from close to the summit.


Here, Jen is trekking through a particularly lichen-encrusted grove.


I almost forgot this: at near to the end of our trip, I crossed path with this little fellow. Rimsy, do you think that you could identify this insect?

3 comments:

Rimsy said...

That's a tough one Pink. Looks like a fly, but from that picture it looks like it doesn't have any wings. Thought it might be a robber fly at first glance but they're aerial predators so I doubt there are any wingless species. Maybe Mix has some ideas as to what it is?

Alcifer said...

I had a little look around on the internet and think that maybe it is a wingless soldier fly (Boreoides subulatus Hardy)?

Here are some pictures of a very similar insect. As well, Dr Harv' Perkins (BAMBI) responds to a query from a local ornithologist. I also took a look at the CSIRO ento' page for the wingless soldier fly.

McMaster said...

hey Pinko,
going to hit the ref books tonight see if can work it out, like rimsy said is a tough one especially if is a wingless diptera, though do like your summation though would like to know more on it. Good pic though.